Friday, November 11, 2005

Photos are working again


Today it is completely clear and sunny, and dry, and not really cold at all. But Tuesday, it snowed. And Outgoing Mexican and I had a snowball fight, and made snow angels, and made a snowman (he's the one in the middle). Now, when I proudly showed this picture to my roommates, they laughed at me: "Snowmen are supposed to be three balls, not a big lump!" Well, excuuuuuse me. I thought he was pretty darn cool. We even gave him coin eyes and a pinecone nose. Not to mention a hat and scarf and gloves.

While we were making the snowman, two other Mexicans joined us. Why have I never met them before? Why have I not even heard about them? Kind of like how I learned of a few English people lately, too. It's sad that they don't come to all the fun stuff with us when we go places or have parties or what have you. Anyway. So when the two Lesser Mssrs joined us, we decided to throw some more snowballs, since it's more fun when you have more choices of who to hit. So we had a somewhat larger snowfight, then realized that half of us couldn't feel our fingers (I was wearing gloves, and was quite comfortable). So we all trooped up to my apartment and had hot chocolate. It was a fun night.

Ooh! Ooh! So they have this thing called Remembrance Day here. It's like Veteren's Day back home, only here they have like services and stuff, and the whole week before, everybody walks around wearing these fake red flowers (Poppies- you know, like "in Flanders fields the poppies grow...") pinned to their jackets and stuff. I went and gave a donation and got my poppy yesterday. I feel so patriotic, or something. I'm glad I did it. So also today we have no school, which is good because there was a planned power outage this morning that I forgot about when setting my alarm clock last night, and I didn't wake up until noon, since I didn't go to bed till about 3.

Last night I had some friends over. (I have friends! And I invited them over! And they came!) We played a whole lot of Uno, and I made a cake, and we talked, and I introduced people around, and we ended up watching a movie at the end of the night. Then my roommate came home with one of her friends (one of our two semi-roommates), and most everybody left except the Long Haired Christian (I sure do love making up names for people. Is that one ok, LHC?). Me and Roomie #1 and Semi-Roomie and LHC stayed up and colored coloring pages that they printed out. I colored a ninja turtle, and a cinderella, and a smurfette. And I learned that colored pencils are not colored pencils, but pencil-crayons. We had a fight about which was the most appropriate name for them. The fight ended when they pointed out that I chose to live here, so I have to assimilate into their culture.

Oh, and by the way, there was a reason for the coloring pages. Semi-Roomie's birthday is coming up, and they're going to make invitation cards with a colored page on each. I think it's a fun idea.

No comments: