Wednesday, March 9, 2005

My No-Good, Very-Bad Day

Sigh. To tell the long, drawn-out, this-is-how-it-felt version, or to simply tell the facts, short and not so sweet? How about an unsatisfactory blend of both? Sounds good to me too.

I woke up late this morning. No big deal, right? I wake up late every morning. Well, today was my music midterm, which involved being at class, and, oh yeah, HAVING STUDIED. So, I leap out of bed, throw on a dirty shirt, and jump in the car with my iPod and the liner notes for the album that I have to know the names of the songs and artists for. I'm driving to school, trying to study and make up for lost time, when I look in the rear-view and see your friend and mine, the policeman in the nice, shiny Mustang that they use to nab kids drag racing. Great. All I need is a ticket for $181 and 10 more minutes down the drain while the cop stands around behind my car looking important. Good thing he didn't see me READING A CD CASE while I was driving, but noted only that I was doing 63 in a 50 zone. Sigh.

Fast forward to me parking in the stupid garage where I have to pay, instead of my usual spot that's free, so that I can actually make it to my midterm on time. I get to class, and take the test. I'm acing it. I've gotten EVERY SINGLE QUESTION, including the three bonus questions, right. I'm going to get a 100% on this test. I'm starting the very last section of the test, when... the fargin' FIRE ALARM goes off (do you like my choice of words? I stole it from Lileks). The fire alarm! My professor, of course, has no provision for this type of occurance, so he tells us to "leave your stuff, but take your tests with you." Stupidest thing said with the best intentions. If the room's on fire, I'd rather keep my money, driver's license, iPod, car keys, camera, homework and books with me, and let the stupid test burn. It's not like I'll get out of the room any faster if I leave my backpack on the floor- there's 120 other people in front of me, not to mention the people in all the other classrooms around us. Plus, think about it- if you're the type of person who pulls the fire alarm just to see people hate their lives a little more, wouldn't it be a great idea to stick around and take everybody's stuff that they leave lying on the floor? Yargh. Anyway, I'm tired of typing, and you're probably tired of reading, so I'll finish up quick. Because he had us take our tests with us, our prof. realized that he couldn't count it (cause you know, everybody could switch around their answers and get a hundred percent while waiting around in the sun outside the building). The midterm, the test which I would have aced, the test I had sacrificed $181 and my dignity in front of the main drag at rush hour for, the test that I left the house asleep and unwashed for, was void.

On a happy note, nobody stole my stuff out of my backpack while it was sitting in the empty classroom.

No comments: