Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Andrew

Ok. Right now, the word that is probably most descriptive of my life is "DT." This does not stand for delerium tremens, and it also does not stand for Deseret Towers. Similarly, it doesn't stand for Duck Tales. Although i wish it did, because that would be awesome.

Once upon a time, after I had just graduated high school, my friend Uffish and i went out in search of our first jobs. She got hired at a local sandwich shop, and about a week later I got hired at the taco bell right next to it. Two years later, I'm still there (even though I've quit twice), and Uffish has been living elsewheres for school. Anyway, probably about a year ago, my managers realized that I was pretty good on the drive-through, onnaccounta I'm nice to the customers and I put on my special voice so i don't sound like death through the microphone. For about the past month or so, I've been on drive through eight hours a day, five days a week.

A few Things To Know about drive-through:
  1. When a car pulls up to the speakerbox, a bell rings. Like, BING! right in your ear.
  2. Some people have really quiet voices, so you have to turn the volume up all the way on your headset.
  3. Some people drive diesel trucks.
  4. Some people have loud voices, and others have barking dogs, screaming children, or a cell phone. Or all three.
  5. Some people don't know what they want when they drive up, and sit there for several minutes trying to decide, while fifteen cars drive up behind them and start to honk because it's taking so long.
  6. Some people are just plain stupid.
Which brings me to my first point, which is this: working the drive through for many, many, many days in a row can drive a quiet, shy person like me completely insane. This happened last thursday. I got to work in the morning, was on drive-through for about 45 minutes, and suddenly and unexpectedly exploded into hysterical sobs for a good ten minutes or so. The worst part was that for the first two minutes of my out-freaking, I was still taking orders and taking people's money through the window. That was a little awkward, and I got some interesting looks. The rest of that day, I was put in the kitchen area, making food. I had a great day once I was working with food, and not people.

Which brings me to my second, and main point. When a person is nice to you in the drive-through, or knows exactly what they want, and tells you clearly, or has an even voice, you notice, and are grateful. When a person is all three, and is attractive too, well, that person is Andrew. Andrew went to my high school, and I think he must've graduated when I was a freshman, because he is just barely familiar to me by sight. Andrew has a sexy voice through the speakerbox, and he is my Very Favorite Customer Ever. He used to come in all the time late at night when I used to work late at night, and you could always tell it was him by how wonderfully smooth his order was. Then he stopped coming. Then I started working daytimes. Then today he came again. His order was slightly different- he used to get the Mountain Dew Code Red. Now he gets the Mountain Dew Baja Blast. But he still got his mexican pizza with no tomatoes or green onions, and he still was as wonderfully wonderful as he always was before. Even though I hadn't seen him in months and months, probably since december, I still knew it was him as soon as he started ordering.

Every time I see him, I tell him how much I love him and how much I wish everyone was like him. And every time I tell him, he tells me how much of a jerk he is, and how if I met him on the street, I would think he was an *******. And every time he tells me that, I don't believe a word he says.

No comments: