Friday, November 7, 2008

Lame-O Belated Halloween Post




Somehow jack-o-lanterns are always scarier a few days after Halloween than they are the night of. When I tried to pick them up with a trashbag each punkin just kind of, uh, liquified through my fingers. Moldy chunky punkin liquid. It was like running your hands through a big bowl of cafeteria jello cubes, only less sugary and more... furry.

The hilarious thing is that we only carved the punkins the night before Halloween, and by, let's see, Sunday morning, they were already in a nasty state. I finally had the time to clean them up Monday after work, and that was pretty much Too Late. I tried scrubbing the leftover punkin puddles with bathroom cleaner and a green scrubby, but the stains remain.

The weird thing is that we don't really live in a humid place where I would expect that kind of fast forward rotting to take place. In fact, to find a more arid home, we'd have to move to Yuma. I am absolutely sure that moving to Yuma could never be an answer to any of my problems, so my only conclusion has to be that moldy, liquified punkin is not actually a problem to begin with.

1 comment:

jamila said...

Contrary to popular belief (maybe perpetuated by Yuma), Yuma is actually kind of humid. I will take you sometime in the summer, and then we can re-assess Yuma's humidity. I think it has to do with all of the agriculture. I like your post, though, and I don't remember our pumkins ever going bad that fast, so maybe you're right, or maybe by the end of October the moisture in the air is gone.